Tips for Filing a California Lemon Law Claim
Norman Taylor & Associates
September 27, 2018
Are you leasing or purchasing a lemon? If you plan on filing a Lemon Law claim, there are certainly right and wrong ways to go about it. As a California Lemon Law firm, our main objective is to help Californians obtain refunds, cash settlements, or replacements of their defective purchased and leased vehicles under the Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act.
With over 30 years of experience helping clients resolve their Lemon Law claims, we are happy to share our insight with you. To help you prepare to file a Lemon Law claim, we suggest that you follow these tips:
- Read your warranty book or owner’s manual very carefully and read the section on the Lemon Law requirements.
- When you take your vehicle to an authorized dealer, be sure to tell the dealer about the exact problem and make sure the dealer fully describes the issue in the repair order.
- At first, work with the authorized dealer to try to resolve the problem. You cannot file a Lemon Law claim without first attempting to repair it at the dealership.
- Each time you take your vehicle into the dealer, make sure the authorized dealer gives you a repair order, especially when it’s for a warranty or vehicle problem. Don’t ever leave without a repair order.
- Keep very good records of all repair orders and be sure to include any comments from previous technicians who worked on the vehicle.
- Keep records of conversations with the authorized dealer and their employees.
- We recommend keeping a log of the warranty-related repair attempts and any problems that you have with the vehicle. In this log, include dates, incidents, and any other relevant information.
- Even if the vehicle is inoperable, do not stop making the payments.
- Contact our firm for a free case evaluation.