6 Steps to Preparing Your Lemon Law Claim
Norman Taylor & Associates
July 13, 2020
The excitement of buying a car can quickly turn sour when you find out that you may have purchased a lemon. These vehicles are not just a costly inconvenience but can affect your vehicle’s use, value, and safety.
Not every troublesome car is a lemon, but if you believe that you even possibly have one on your hands, you should take certain steps to ensure your consumer rights and safety are protected.
- Find out if your car is under the original warranty. In order to be covered by California Lemon Law, your vehicle must be under the manufacturer’s warranty.
- Give the dealership time to fix the problem. Before you file a claim, you must have given the dealership the opportunity to fix the problem and have your car in for a “reasonable” number of repairs. The actual number of repairs needed will vary depending on the situation and other factors.
- Learn about lemon law remedies. In general, there are two remedies available when filing a lemon law claim: a replacement vehicle or letting the manufacturer repurchase the vehicle. However, you may also be entitled to additional award amounts.
- Collect and save repair orders. A repair order is a record of the parts and labor operations that were actually used in repairing a customer’s vehicle. The repair order becomes the customer’s receipt and record for the services performed. It is also your shop’s historical record of the services performed.
- Do not let time run out. If you believe your vehicle is a lemon, the time is act is now! In California, car owners only have four years from the date to file a claim.
- Speak with a lemon law attorney. Above all, always speak with a lemon law attorney who can evaluate your specific situation and provide you with the best course of legal action. Our firm offers free, no-obligation case reviews to discuss your lemon.
Why You Need a Lemon Law Attorney
You and your family deserve to have a safe vehicle. Our team understands the frustrations, costs, and risks of not having that. If you believe you have a lemon, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Norman Taylor & Associates for skilled legal advocates on your side.
Our team solely focuses on lemon law cases, meaning that we are highly skilled in this area of the law. In fact, Mr. Taylor wrote the book on California Lemon Law. You can rest assured that your case is in the most capable of hands.
Contact our firm at (888) 449-7639 to get started with a free case review. There are absolutely no fees and no obligations for you to sit down with our lemon law attorneys, ask questions, and discuss your legal options.